Responsible Use of Technology
St. Mary's School and CTR Catholic recognizes the value of technology in enhancing student learning and in enhancing the administration and operation of its schools. To this end and in order to support its mission and goals, we encourage the responsible use of technology and the Internet to include the guiding principles of: respect, privacy, sharing and safety. Access to information, collaboration and creativity are vital to intellectual enhancement and productivity. However, since the Internet is ever-changing and unregulated, the information available is impossible to control or filter. As with other methods of communication, there are opportunities for students or staff to create and distribute inappropriate materials and to conduct themselves in ways that are unacceptable. Therefore, we are obliged to inform all students and staff of potential risks and benefits on the use of technology. We have also provide support via consulatations with parents. Please contact the principal if you wish to disucss how to support these principles at home.
Technology is provided for educational and/or research purposes and for conducting valid school business. The intent is to:
- Support and enhance the delivery of educational services to students and provide options to meet their learning styles, access requirements, and program needs.
- Provide tools to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the business of education.
- Enhance opportunities for staff to participate in professional development activities.
- Communicate with partner groups and the community.
As members of St. Mary's School, part of Christ the Redeemer Catholic Schools, we believe that we are all created in the image and likeness of Christ and therefore the words, images and activities we engage in, both in person and online, must reflect the values of our faith as well as our societal laws. All technology, whether divisional or personally owned, must be used in responsible ways. Below are guiding principles of how students demonstrate Responsible Use of Technology.
All CTR Students Must:
Respect And Protect The Privacy Of Self And Others
- use only your assigned account
- keep your account and password private
- only post photos and data of others with permission
- keep private the address and phone number of yourself and others
Respect And Protect Electronic Resources.
- use technology resources, including bandwidth, file space and printers for school related work
- do not alter or damage hardware and software
Respect And Protect The Intellectual Property Of Others
- obey copyright laws
- reference the work of others
Respect And Practice The Principles Of A Safe And Caring School Community
- communicate only in ways that are kind and respectful.
- report threatening or discomforting materials to a teacher
- Do not intentionally request, access, transmit, copy, create or download materials that are sexual, threatening, hate-based, rude, discriminatory or meant to harass.
Respect Our Learning Environment By Practicing Technology Etiquette
- place electronics in silent mode during instructional and other school activities
- use technology at appropriate times
- use technology at times determined by school staff
- ensure that technology does not distract you and others from school work
Christ the Redeemer Catholic Schools uses internet filtering software in addition to teacher supervision to reduce the likelihood of students accessing inappropriate internet sites. In the event a student inadvertently accesses an inappropriate internet site, he / she must advise the supervising teacher of the inadvertent access.
Consequences For Improper Use
Any breach of the Conditions and Rules for Use will result in disciplinary actions and may result in but is not limited to:
- restricted technology use
- restricted network access
- loss of network access
- disciplinary action as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct
- legal action, if criminal in nature