Family School Liaison Program
My name is Kelly Downes and I am the Family School Liaison Worker at St. Mary’s.
A little about the FSLW program
- The Family School Liaison Program is a free, confidential, site based service offered within Christ the Redeemer Catholic Schools for students and their families who may be struggling at home or school.
- The primary goal of the program is to partner with parents and school personnel to enhance the student’s social, emotional, behavioural, physical and academic functioning.
- The program emphasizes engaging and building positive and supportive relationships with students and their families.
- A key component of the program is partnering with other community agencies to ensure a coordinated approach to working with students.
Referrals to the program will be accepted from parents, teachers, school administrators, and in some cases self-referring students. Referrals can be made to the program for a range of issues including –
- Peer problems
- Social skills
- Parent/child conflict
- Family breakdown
- Anger management
- Behavioural issues
- Alcohol/substance abuse issues
- Supportive counseling for students for students and their families
- Groups (Friends or Life, Social Skills, etc.)
- Information provided to parents on a variety of topics including mental health issues, alcohol/substance abuse, coping, and community resources
- Classroom presentations and education on topics including resiliency, friendship skills, bullying, grief, drugs and alcohol, body image, and stress management.
If you have any thoughts, questions or want to learn more about the program, please contact me either by phone 403-938-8048 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
With summer fast approaching, I wanted to leave a couple of useful websites/articles for you.
Kelly Downes is our Family-School Liaison Worker. She is available for students and parents to discuss a variety of topics from changes at home, study skills, emotional wellness and peer relations. Contact her at 403-938-8048.